Read any good leads lately?

http://wrmstkriese.edublogs.org/files/2012/10/hunger-games-zkr5tb.jpg

When I wake up, the other side of the bed is cold. My fingers stretch out, seeking Prim’s warmth but finding only the rough canvas cover of the mattress. She must have had bad dreams and climbed in with our mother. Of course, she did. This was the day of the reaping.

–Suzanne Collins, The Hunger Games

The writer of an article, essay, story or book begins with a lead to draw the reader in–to make the reader want to read more.

In the comment section of this post, share an interesting lead to an article, essay, story or book you’ve read recently.  Be sure to include the author’s name and the title of the work.  See the first two comments for examples.

Before posting, make sure your profile is set to display your name with your three digit number.  I need to be able to tell who is in what class period so I can give you credit for your posts and comments this nine weeks!  Your name display setting is found under DASHBOARD–USERS–PROFILE–DISPLAY NAME PUBLICLY AS…

One thought on “Read any good leads lately?

1. Here’s the lead to one of my favorite books so far:
    “During the third attack, Hazel almost ate a boulder. She was peering into the fog, wondering how it could be so difficult to fly across one stupid mountain range, when the ship’s alarm bells sounded.” -Rick Riordan, The House of Hades.